Sunday, April 3, 2011

Uneducated Protest Flying of Flag for Confederate History and Heritage

NAACP protests Confederate flag in Anderson County

ANDERSON COUNTY, TX (KLTV) - Many Texas Courthouses fly both the American and Texas flags, but the Anderson County Courthouse in Palestine now flies three. The third flag is the first Confederate flag. Anderson County Commissioners voted Monday to approve flying the flag. They declared April Confederate History and Heritage Month to honor those who fought the Civil War.

But, not everyone feels the flag represents just history.

The Anderson County Commissioners passed the Confederate History Resolution vote March 28th. So, today they kicked off the History and Heritage month by letting the Sons Of Confederate Veterans raise the first Confederate Flag, also known as the Stars and Bars, as a remembrance. Palestine NAACP President Kenneth Davidson, a Vietnam Veteran, doesn't think of that flag that way.

He said," I did not fight for this flag. This flag was hung over my people as they were hung. This flag was flying. So, how can you celebrate this and say this is for education for me. It's not."

Ronnie Hatfield with the Sons Of Confederate Veterans said," I disagree with their view and what I see is a problem of lack of education. Not on their part because that's all the schools offer is a biased point of education and a lot of the things that were truthful about the war are left out. And, when I was in school, U.S. History book had a whole chapter dedicated to the war in the states, and as it is today, there may be four pages."

Davidson said," I respect the United States flag and the Texas flag. I do not respect this flag. I served for the United States flag, I served for the Texas Flag. I served my country, but I did not serve for the Confederate flag. So, I had to turn my back because I do not respect this flag."

Doug Smith, Palestine resident said," We're not conveying anything about a cause or anything like that, we're simply honoring those that fought for what they believed in back in those days."

"I just wish that the city of Palestine would come together as a community because this is going to start a lot more discrimination and hatred here because this flag is flying for a whole month," Davidson added.

For now at least the flag still flies, and after the ceremony cool heads prevailed.

The Confederate History and Heritage resolution was passed by the Commissioners by a narrow 3-2 vote.

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14369046