SEVEN SPRINGS -- A granite monument honoring the Confederate soldiers killed at the Battle of Whitehall in 1862 was dedicated Saturday on a piece of land less than a mile from the site of the original Civil War clash.
Members of the Sons of Confederate Veterans paid tribute to the fallen 13 soldiers during a ceremony off Lynch Road, on the north bank of the Neuse River, where Confederates held off Union attackers on a similarly chilly December day. The monument also pays tribute to the men who served as sailors aboard the CSS Neuse gunboat that was under construction at Whitehall, now Seven Springs, at the time of the battle. And it specifically honors eight Sutton brothers from the area who fought for the South, four of whom did not make it home.
The monument, made from a stone used as a floor support in the Marshall/Richmond Theater in Richmond, Va., was erected by the SCV on land donated by Dan and Wendy Boyette. The organization is dedicated to keeping alive the memory of the men who fought for the South.