By Jerry Gunn Staff
GAINESVILLE - The long-awaited dedication of the restored remaining section of Confederate General James Longstreet’s Piedmont Hotel was held Saturday morning in Gainesville.
Members of the Hall County Historical Society, including Judge William Norton along with the Longstreet Society, showed off their long-time labor of love.
Gainesville Newcomer’s Club members, in period dress, handed out programs that were copies of the Piedmont’s grand opening more than 100 years ago.
Norton expects this remainder of Longstreet’s railroad hotel should last another 100 years.
A bust of General Longstreet was placed on display, brought from Dahlonega by Tim Ragland of the “Blue Ridge Rifles" 1860 Camp of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.